I bought earring hooks from Michael’s to use in the earrings that I make to sell on Etsy. I was worried that because the package didn’t say what type of metal they were and they didn’t say they were hypoallergenic, that perhaps maybe I shouldn’t use them at all because I would hate to go through all that trouble to make earrings that people will have to throw or give away because they irritate their skin. I decided to still make these earrings because there are people out there who can tolerate any metal earring.
I did buy some hypoallergenic hooks on Amazon, but I didn’t read the reviews until after I paid for them, and I tried to cancel the order right away, but they wouldn’t let me choose a reason for canceling, so I’m stuck with them. The reviews were basically saying they took too long to ship because they ship from Honk Kong, which I didn’t see when I bought them. They also said that some of the hooks were bent and that they ended up throwing most of them in the trash and that despite saying they were hypoallergenic, they weren’t. So when I get those in the mail in August, I will have to say they are not hypoallergenic, but I will test them on myself before I use them.
Of course I will be buying some known hypoallergenic hooks, but they are incredibly expensive. So unless I actually sell earrings or keychains, I won’t be able to afford to buy the expensive hypoallergenic hooks.
So the earring hooks I bought from Michael’s aren’t doing so bad. I decided to put in a pair at Midnight on the night of July the 5th 2013 and have had them in my ears for nearly 11 hours and this is how they look in my ears. The package had 2 different types of hooks, half of each, these aren’t the same type of hooks in the earrings you see in the image at the top. I have a really bad sensitivity to certain metals and believe me, I will get a reaction after just a few minutes, so if I’ve had these in my ears for 11 hours, then I’m sure they should be okay for anyone else.
As you can see, the hooks haven’t made any impact on my ears. They are the ones in the 2nd hole in both ears. Keep in mind that those holes haven’t had an earring in them for years and I had to push them in a bit because they felt like they had closed up in the back. So if there is some redness, that’s probably why. They do look a little red in the picture, especially the left ear, but there isn’t any irritation and they aren’t red when I look at them in the mirror. They seem fine to me.
Of course, 11 hours isn’t hardly enough time to judge whether these earrings from Michael’s are going to cause a bad reaction, so I will keep taking pictures every day for a week and keep updating this post.
Update: After 16 hours of wearing these Michael’s earrings, I suddenly felt a pressure in my head accompanied by ringing in both ears and slight dizziness. I Googled my symptoms and found out that a lot of people have asked about earrings causing that and the condition is called Tinnitus. I took the earrings out and within half an hour my symptoms eased up, but they are still there after another half an hour. I thought that perhaps it was not caused by the earrings because when I took them out I took a picture and they didn’t look that bad. There wasn’t any redness, swelling or pain. I would think that if my ears were having an allergic reaction to the metal they would at least be red. I didn’t see any redness in the mirror, but I do see it in the pictures.
After having them out for 45 minutes, I decided to put them in Claire’s Ear Wash Antiseptic and put them back in. The dizziness, tightness and buzzing or ringing is still there, but it’s not as bad as it was, so I don’t know what caused it or why, but I’m going to leave the earrings in and see what happens next. I really want these earrings to work for me, because if I can wear them, then I will sleep better knowing that I am not selling earrings that people are going to have issues with. Of course, if you know you have an allergy to certain metals, you know not to buy unless it says it is hypoallergenic, so naturally buyer beware. I will keep them in for as long as I can. See how dedicated I am to my customers that I am willing to risk getting an infection lol.
24 hour update: I have had these earrings in my ears for 24 hours. Well, minus about 45 minutes from earlier today when I got dizzy and had a constant ringing in my ears. The dizziness and ringing didn’t come back, so I’m wondering if that was something else. I have been having dizzy spells, so perhaps that wasn’t related to the earrings. At any rate, I seem to be doing fine. Pictures to come tomorrow afternoon.
40 hour update: I had to take the earrings out of my ears because my right ear was starting to get infected. That sucks. I knew these earrings wouldn’t be hypoallergenic, but I was kind of hoping they would still be okay. Oh well. Here is the final picture.
I forgot to write right ear and left ear, but you can figure that out lol. As you can see, the left ear is fine, it didn’t get affected at all, but the right ear is infected. What’s funny is that neither one of them hurt, even the infected one, so I didn’t even know it was infected until I took the picture.
I will be buying some actual hypoallergenic earring hooks called Niobium as well as plastic earring studs for another type of earring for men. I actually just bought the plastic earring studs so when they come I can figure out what I will make. Whatever it is will be made with gimp like the keychains.