Pet Toxins

I got an email about Pet Toxins.  You know already that you can’t give chocolate to your dog because they just cannot tolerate it and it will kill them.  This one time our dog Flower (toy chihuahua) ate half of a doughnut with chocolate frosting that Darrin left on the couch while he went to the kitchen.  We rushed her to the vet with the doughnut and showed them how much she ate.  They said that she might feel a little sick and maybe even vomit but she’ll be OK,  It wasn’t enough to hurt her.

But is there ever any amount that is OK?  No.  That’s why I’m listing foods that you absolutely cannot feed your dog or cat.

  • Grapes and Raisins – In dogs and cats, grapes can cause kidney failure.
  • Bread Dough – The dog’s body heat will cause the dough to expand quickly resulting in severe abdominal pain and bloating. In some cases, death can occur if enough dough is eaten.
  • Chewing Gum – A dog might be attracted to the sweet-smelling gum that your kids are chewing or that’s tucked away in your bag. But the artificial sweetener, xylitol, in many types of gum and breath mints, can be deadly to pets. The sweetener can cause a low-blood sugar crisis in your pet. In fact, just one pack of gum can kill a dog.
  • Macadamia Nuts – Ingesting these nuts can cause tremors, weakness, unsteadiness, depression, a rapid heart rate, and a dangerous rise in body temperature that can lead to other complications.
  • Nicotine – Nicotine is highly toxic so it doesn’t take much to cause a health crisis for your pet, including seizures, coma and death.
  • Chocolate – Caffeine-like stimulants in chocolate known as methylxanthines can produce vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death.
  • Alcohol – Alcohol ingestion can lead to seizures, heart arrhythmia, vomiting, coma and death.
  • Pain Relievers – One tablet of acetaminophen can kill a cat.
  • Tea – Caffeine in your tea is toxic to both cats and dogs. Depending on how much is consumed and the size of your pet, ingesting it can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, seizures, coma and even death.
  • Onions – Onions are toxic to dogs and cats whether they’re raw or cooked. When ingested, onions can cause hemolytic anemia, a condition that destroys the red blood cells in the bloodstream. A dog with onion poisoning may become lethargic and have difficulty breathing. Generally, a large amount of onions would need to be consumed to pose a serious threat to your dog, but cats are highly sensitive to onion toxicity.

Wow, I didn’t even know that about all these things.  I knew about chocolate but not the rest like the macadamia nuts.  Well, who can afford those anyway?

All I have to say is that the dog on Family Guy better stop smoking and drinking. (That was a joke hehe sorry Brian).

The source by the way is AOL Health.  The website address that this came from is Pet Toxins- AOL Health.  You gotta click the arrow on the picture for a pop up window that shows a top 11 list of what I listed.

When Playing Becomes Scaring

I have a 3lb Chihuahua.  She likes to play.  She LOVES to play.  I was holding her and blew on her neck, you know like when you blow on a baby’s stomach and it makes a farting sound and it makes them giggle.  Well, I can tell when she’s laughing because she starts sneezing and, well, I can tell.  And so I kept doing it and she thought it was funny, she was having fun.  Then I did it on her side and all of a sudden she got real serious and PEED on me.

I don’t know what’s wrong with her.  Whenever I’m playing with her I kiss her and stuff but whenever my face goes anywhere near her side all of a sudden she gives me this look of horror and starts peeing on me.  It’s like she’s scared all of a sudden that she thinks I’m gonna just start chowing down on her.  As if, she only weighs 3lbs, she barely has any meat on her at all.

We’ve had her for a year, don’t you think that by now if we were going to eat her we would’ve eaten her already?  What’s up with that?  I mean it’s not like we’re fattening her up to prepare her for Thanksgiving dinner, I mean, Thanksgiving has already passed.  LOL.  Poor thing.  I really love her, she’s so cute and so funny but… I don’t want to eat her.

Too Cold For Our Cat

Our cat has been living in our patio which is sort of still being outside without being inside.  It gave her some freedom of being outside but at the same time she couldn’t leave the property and roam around the neighborhood.  It’s like she had her own room lol.

It’s too cold now, about 35°F so she’s decided “it’s too cold, I need to be in the house again.”  While we were in San Diego I kept her in the kitchen, although she found a way to escape so she could roam around the house.  But now that it’s too cold she’s going to stay inside until at least February or March when it starts getting warmer again, at least in the 50’s – 60’s.

In case you’re wondering, she loves it out there on the patio.  Every time we bring her in the house, she scratches at the back door to get out and she looks up at me to open the door.  If I’m not in the kitchen she’ll come find me and meow then walk away like she wants me to follow her and she’ll lead me to the back door.  She’s a very smart cat.

Steam Cleaner

Today I was trying to clean the carpet in my room and the hallway because of the dog peeing all over the house and it just wouldn’t work.  The hand-held thingy with the hose worked, I mean releasing the water and soap but just using it as an upright it wasn’t releasing any water.  I finally ended up just using the hand-held thing to put the soapy water on the ground then used the upright part to scrub the carpet fibers and suck up the water.

The last time I used it I cleaned it and it was fine sitting in the coat closet near the front door.  It worked the last time I used it, I don’t know why this time it didn’t work.  I did everything the book said to do in the troubleshooting section.  I didn’t do the living room yet because I have to pick up in there and that will take a bit more time, there is more furniture in there.  But when I do go to use it I hope it works for me.

Rawhide Sticks

When we went to Target today I bought some Rawhide sticks for Flower because she has been chewing everything in sight.  She has chewed so many holes in my comforter and pulling the stuffing out so I wake up most mornings with all this stuffing all over the bed.

Darrin was afraid of giving her rawhide because she is such a small dog and he was afraid that the rawhide would splinter and she would get it stuck in her throat.  Which is a valid concern but this stuff when chewed becomes soft and it doesn’t splinter.  He just hasn’t had any experience with giving rawhide to dogs and so I can understand why he was worried.

But since I gave her one when we came home she’s been chewing it and he holds it for her hehe.  It’s so cute to watch him holding it for her.  She just loves it too.  So now I know what she will get for Christmas.  Now hopefully she will stop chewing everything including my shoes.

Wet Dog

Flower got a bath today and it was about time.  I went to lay down next to her and she smelled really bad.  She was so pissed off at me for daring to put her in water and she tried getting away lol.  She was fine though in the kitchen sink and I got her all cleaned up and since she barely has any hair it wasn’t hard to dry her.  Just a towel over her and she’s done.

After her bath she was running around the house like a crazy dog.  She was mostly running away from me lol.  I put her on the bed and she ran over to where the bunched up comforter is and burrowed into it and peeked her head out so I could see that she wasn’t pleased lol.  Now it’s back to sleep for her.